Tuesday, June 2, 2009

28 days til 29: Just Passing Through: So Much to Learn, So Little I Know


I have a leadership challenge with my youth at my church and it’s bugging me. I’m putting together a plan to communicate more frequently with the parents and youth who do not come to Wednesday night bible study (where most of my communication takes place) and are not on the email list. I’m not much of a phone person (calling people at the house and such), so outside of church announcements, they don’t have a way of knowing what is going on with the youth department (and they won’t call me- won’t even ask me when they see me at church) so they feel disengaged and not included. I have my feelings about this, but I’m looking for a way to reach them too, because they’re important and need their needs met as well. I need more face time with them, at their convenience and am trying to figure out how to do that. I see a couple of them during rehearsals on Thursdays. The others I only see on Sunday morning.

On the flip side, maybe I can’t reach them. Maybe they’re just complaining and the problem is that they don’t want to be engaged. And maybe they should reach towards us more. My personality, however, makes me exhaust all my personal capabilities of reaching them.

Just something on my mind this morning.


I need some special prayer for this. So if you're the praying type, remember us as you go before the Father.

A friend and I discussed ways to reach youth, so by week’s end I’m going to do these three things:
1. Bebo group page-
2. Facebook group page
3. Call every household on my list just to check in.

It’s a start…how does the song go? "Reach out and touch somebody's hand, make this world a better place if you can."

I’m feeling like a community organizer… does that mean I’ll be president one day?

Like Mos Def Says… there is a way… no matter what they say…

No comments: