Sunday, June 27, 2010

3 Days To 30

Tonight I studied while listening and half watching the BET Awards. I was thrilled to see the Michael Jackson tribute tonight and even more thrilled to see that the person I feel would best embody that performance was the person they choose: Chris Brown. I've found myself missing him from the music scene. Odd to me being that I was not a fanatic Chris Brown fan. I am fond of him because he's from Virginia, my mothers home state, and could dance and sing his rump off. Saddened by the events that transpired in his life, I am glad that tonight, he embodied what a true tribute to a late legendary influence invokes- utter humility and deep sadness. Maybe its just where I am today, in a place of reflection, but honoring someone as phenomenal and transcending as Michael Jackson should be more than just a cutesy performance, it should be gut wrenching and we should all feel the emotion of the performance, like we did tonight.

This weekend I was witness to the creative brilliance of letting people do what it is they love to do, unencumbered and with the support of just a few people saying "Do your thing." I got text messages from friends on vacation at the beach, refreshing their souls and spirits in the breezes of salty water vapors, in spite of what the evening news says about the devastation washing up on our vacation getaways.

I saw myself Saturday, saw that I need more practice delegating responsibilities, more practice at taking care of what's more important to me at the present. More practice of taking care of me. But luckily, I have help to remind me to do that when I allow my desire to be everything and do everything for others gets in the way of what I should do for myself. I love these people. Tonight I'm grateful for the people who care for me.

No comments: