Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Diggin' In Dirt: Day 2

So, in an effort to fulfill some of my deepest desires and goals before the year is out, I decided to act out on the year's old desire to have a vegetable garden. I will attempt to track the growth of my red and green peppers, squash, zuchinni, sweet potatotes, cucumbers, and just for fun, watermelon now planted in an 8 by 8 square in my backyard. In order for this to be as fun as possible, I'll make this mostly pictoral with short captions and "lessons learned" only. I'm not interested in explaining step by step, only to share my own journey into providing my own food source and expand my domestic skills for "infinity and beyond" (in my best Buzz Lightyear voice) Lessons Learned: Day 2 1. No matter where you go outside, the whole world is inhabited by spiders, spiders, and more spiders- SHEESH. Take a look at this brown recluse (it may not be but it sure as heck looks like one) who thought is was clever to surprise me as I pulled my hose out to water today. Uh uh uhhhh! Sprayed him with fungicide, he closed up and stayed still. I realized he was still alive when I gently prodded him with a pen and he sprung back up and had to step on him.
2. Mosquitos will find your flesh!!! OMG. I was covered head to toe but a mosquito somehow found my wrist and a small uncovered part of my ankle. Pray for me saints!!! 3. Farming (its just fun to say) is a process! Definitely a great lesson for this "lead foot", let's get there person.
Buying plants and dirt
Waiting for the grass and weeds to die.
Putting down the landscape fabric (don't ask-I had no idea).
Dirt piles.
Mixing the dirt.
Planting the plants.
Space properly.
Water the plants.
Watering still.
All done... for today. 4. Being outside, even for the short 15 to 20 minutes I was outside watering this evening, did much to help me wind down and relax after work. The sounds of the water, cars passing by, voices in the wind, the breeze (or lack there of), and the solitude were an added value to my life experience today. And I thoroughly enjoyed it! Pray for a bumper crop!

1 comment:

Jas E. said...

Looks great!!!! Love you! Now, I need to come shopping!