Sunday, November 6, 2011

Delicate Dealings

Last night I learned a valuable lesson about sharing things about people. The lesson can be summed up in Kurt Kobain's quote, We have no right to express an opinion until we know all of the answers. My approach to expressing my opinion about something dealing with a family member ended up causing alarm and anger and led to a deep offense. My motive and intent were questioned and ultimately were dismissed to smeer tactics. If I had known then what I know now, I may have remained silent. In retrospect, however, it is probably a good thing that I now know that there was an unknown issue from before that had gone unspoken. It also opened up other conversation that led to a better understanding of a current situation. I am grateful for the lesson but deeply saddened by the outcome and the potential loss of a great relationship. Word to the wise: Always be aware of the risk involved with sharing your opinions with others about things that are dear to them. Assess that risk before opening your mouth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can only opine based of the facts known to you. If you were asked for your opinion, then the seeker should be better prepared to receive it (good, bad or indifferent). Perhaps your lesson is not the only one to be learned in this situation.