Thursday, October 8, 2009

Thursday Morning Musings: Chik Fil A Break

And now the morning story…

Company volunteers for the Susan Komen Race for the Cure manned a table in our lobby this morning selling breakfast and I wanted to purchase a biscuit both to support them and to support my hungry belly. Being charity, the biscuits were 3 dollars and all I had was 1 dollar in change. So I stood there, counting my nickels and dimes (where are quarters when you need them?) and a guy comes up with a 5 dollar bill, purchases a biscuit and tells them to keep the change. Immediately seeing an opportunity, I asked my friends at the table if I could borrow the 2 extra dollars, put my 1 with it and get a biscuit. They both looked at me and chuckled. Understanding my rationale they agreed. I immediately held out my handful of a dollars worth in change like a kid handing a store clerk their allowance for a candy treat, and in turn, they handed me a chunky foil wrapped chicken biscuit.

The biscuit was not as crunchy or brown as I like them so I decided to toast it in the small toaster oven over in payroll (the next room over). I put the biscuit into the toaster oven with the wrapper on it, thinking the wrapper is aluminum foil (it’s shiny ). At any rate, the part of the wrapper burnt up a little bit and caused the payroll department to smell like a campfire… and looking up at the ceiling, I noticed that we don’t have any sprinklers in the room in case of a fire. So I begin asking the employees, “what are we going to do if there is a fire up here?” and found out there is a fire extinguisher in the room, all the while trying to distract them from the horrible burn smell coming from the toaster oven.

Needless to say I quickly discarded the burned wrapper, wrapped my only semi toasted biscuit in napkins (the wrapper blocked the red light from browning it up and I did not want to put it back in the toaster oven after I had caused such a stench in the department), grabbed my hot cocoa and high tailed it back to my desk.

Moral of the story: 3 Lessons to take away…

1. The wrappers on Chik fil A chicken biscuits ARE NOT 100% aluminum foil. SO, do not put them in the toaster over AND do not put them in the microwave. Either occurrence will make them burn and cause a horrible stench or even CAUSE A FIRE...

2. You should support the Susan Komen Race for the Cure if all you do is purchase a pin or buy a biscuit. Breast cancer research needs your help. (Especially my sisters... your sisters are dying) Remember Dr. Lisa Newman http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/07/21/bia.triple.negative.cancer/index.html )

3. For a safety check at work, find out where your nearest fire extinguisher or heart defibrillator is. It could save a life, maybe yours.

No comments: